Today’s economy is tough, and it seems like there is always a strain on the budgets of Phoenix area families. It may be tempting to skip your routine dental checkups and cleanings, calling the dentist only when you have a problem. In reality, though, regular visits help to keep dental costs down by reducing risk of future oral problems. Dr. Sameet Koppikar shares these five good reasons to maintain regular professional teeth cleanings.
- To have a more attractive looking smile. Life leaves stains on your teeth – from coffee, tea, cola, and tobacco. Overlooked plaque hardens into yellowish tartar. The hygiene team at Biltmore Dental Center has special instruments and training to find and remove external stains you can’t reach with brush and floss. A final polish adds beautiful gleam to your bright smile.
- To enjoy fresher breath. Anyone can get a temporary case of dragon breath from a spicy meal, but negligent oral hygiene is a primary cause of chronic halitosis. Bacteria feast on bits of food trapped between teeth. Excreted toxins from these living organisms combined with decaying food leaves your breath foul. Regular cleanings remove every trace for sweet breathing.
- To keep your teeth. Gum disease is a serious infection triggered by bacteria in the buildup of plaque and tartar. It starts as gingivitis, with symptoms like puffy, discolored, bleeding gums and bad breath, and progresses steadily, attacking ligaments and bone. Periodontitis is the leading cause of tooth loss in adults. Teeth cleanings remove plaque and tartar which irritate gum tissues.
- To maintain your health. Scientific evidence continues to build, connecting oral health to overall wellness. The same bacteria that cause gum disease are linked to increased risk of diabetes, stroke, heart disease, Alzheimer’s disease, and other grave systemic illnesses. Maintaining vigorous teeth and gums with regular exams reduces your risk of health problems and aids in early detection.
- To get the most from your dental benefits. Most insurance plans have low (sometimes no) copayments for preventive teeth cleanings and checkups. If you do incur out-of-pocket expense with your plan, it likely contributes toward the annual deductible. Remember, too, that regular care reduces dental treatment expense (as well as inconvenience and discomfort) in the long run.
It is easy to become a Biltmore Dental Center patient. Just call (602) 954-8200 to schedule a visit and start enjoying the benefits of regular teeth cleanings.