Image of Tooth Extraction Phoenix AZ Extracting a natural, adult tooth may be done for a variety of reasons. Dr. Sameet Koppikar encourages patients to come to Biltmore Dental Center if they require tooth extraction.
Why might patients need tooth extraction?
Tooth extraction is the simple or surgical removal of a natural tooth
. It may be done for oral health purposes or for cosmetic reasons. This may include the following:
- Wisdom teeth – wisdom teeth are also known as the third molars. They often erupt through the gum line when patients are young adults. These teeth are known for being problematic and often, patients need to have them extracted, especially if they have become impacted. Wisdom teeth are not necessary within the smile and patients can eat, speak, and smile without worrying about their missing teeth.
- Injury -if the tooth has been injured, it may have cracked or chipped to the point that it is beyond repair. When dental crowns, veneers, or dental bonding cannot improve the condition, patients may want to consider tooth extraction and seek an effective replacement option.
- Preparation of dentures – patients preparing for the placement of full dentures will need any existing teeth removed. Extraction is done with proper anesthetics to ensure patient comfort.
- Disease – periodontal disease can wreak havoc on the smile. It can cause the bone to shrink, gum tissue to pull away from the teeth, and the loss of natural teeth. When periodontal disease (or gum disease) is present, it can result in irreversible damage to the smile.
- Failed root canal therapy – if root canal therapy (or endodontic therapy) was performed and the procedure failed, the last option for patients is tooth extraction.
What happens after a tooth has been removed?
After a tooth has been removed, patients have several options for replacement:
Dr. Sameet Koppikar speaks with patients before extraction to discuss these three options and consider which one may best suit their specific needs
- Dental bridges
- Dental implants
Back to Emergency Care Home Page