Dental implants treatment and CEREC – techniques that work great together in Phoenix, AZ
What is better than one dental technique that helps patients enjoy the benefits of restored appearance and oral function? Two – that work together! Dr. Sameet Koppikar gets his patient in the Phoenix, AZ area smiling again faster with dental implants treatment and on-site CEREC crown fabrication.
Why bother with dental restorations?
When a tooth is badly decayed or damaged from trauma, some people might say, “it is only one tooth – I have dozens more – why not just have it pulled?” Before you can fully appreciate the benefits of dental implants treatment and CEREC crowns, it helps to understand why these and other restoration methods are important.
The design of the human mouth is complex. When all elements – teeth, bone, soft tissues, oral mucosa, connective tissues, nerves, muscles, and more – are present and working properly, you probably take it for granted. You smile with confidence and speak clearly. You dig into foods you love, breathe normally, and sleep well. Breath is fresh and teeth look clean.
When any element of the mouth is absent or compromised, however, the negative effect can be far-reaching.
Consider, for example, the impact of just one missing tooth:
- Your smile shows a noticeable gap. That can affect self-esteem, causing you to resist smiling. Others may see you as aloof and unapproachable. When they notice the missing tooth, they may make unfair assumptions about your lifestyle or hygiene.
- Diet and digestion are affected. Depending on the location of the missing tooth, you may find it difficult to bite and grind certain foods. When you don’t chew food properly, you end up with digestive problems. Skipping difficult-to-chew foods like fresh produce, whole grains, and nuts, could lead to health issues from poor nutrition.
- Oral hygiene takes a hit. A space in your dentition allows other teeth to drift out of proper position, twist, and overlap. That creates plenty of crevices where bacteria flourish and bits of food become trapped. It is a challenge to get crooked teeth clean, even with conscientious brushing and flossing. Thus, a missing tooth increases risk of developing decay and gum disease and needing more dental work in the future.
- Domino effect. When teeth shift, occlusion (how upper and lower arches come together as you bite down) may become unbalanced placing strain on jaw joints. TMJ pain, headaches and migraines, and discomfort in the neck, shoulders, back, and hips can develop.
- Bone loss. Roots do more than hold teeth in place. They also provide stimulation that keeps facial bone strong and dense. When a tooth is missing, bone diminishes. Over time, this contributes to risk of jaw fracture and gives the face a pinched, aged appearance.
Phoenix, AZ dentist explains dental implants treatment
Dental implant treatment addresses the immediate problems associated with a missing tooth, and stops the detrimental progression described above.
An implant is a small device made of titanium or other biocompatible material. Shaped something like a screw, it is placed into jaw bone to replicate the root of the missing tooth. Through natural healing processes, the implant becomes solidly integrated into bone. Then, the implant is finished with a porcelain crown.
Smiles get restored faster with CEREC technology
Dr. Koppikar understands that you are anxious to get smiling again, with the self-assurance of a fully restored mouth. The restoration portion – impressions, crown fabrication, and crown placement – usually adds two visits (at least one with numbing) to the dental implant procedure. By investing in advanced CEREC CAD/CAM instrumentation and training, Dr. Koppikar can creates dental crowns made of strong, monolithic zirconia chairside, while you wait.
With this technology, robust computer software transforms digital impressions of your mouth into a precise design for your new tooth. An on-site milling machine uses that data to meticulously sculpt your crown. It is custom-stained to match your teeth and affixed to the dental implant, in one visit.
A dental implant with a CEREC crown restoration looks natural and feels and functions like your own tooth. With good home oral hygiene and regular dental checkups, the implant can last a lifetime.
Are you a good candidate for dental implants treatment? With modern bone grafting techniques, most people are. Call Biltmore Dental Center to schedule an examination and consultation with Dr. Koppikar. The number in Phoenix, AZ is (602) 954-8200.